20240406

Bubble Gum and Paddle Boards

 Grades 7 through 9 were called Junior High where I lived in my precocious puberty years. It was during those years, I remember, girls petitioned the school to be allowed to wear slacks for the first time. And this was a public school! It was during these years, if the gym teacher caught us chewing gum, we had to stick it to our nose and wear it the rest of the day. It was during this part in time where laws had not yet been made protecting children from the discipline of teachers. One gym teacher, Mr. Chase, was friends with the shop teacher. Shop class is where guys learned to work and build things with wood, metals, and plastics. On the other side of the fence, there was Home-Ec, where girls learned how to cook and sew. Girls didn't take shop and guys didn't take home-ec. I don't know if that was rules or just accepted practice. Back to Mr. Chase now, being friends with the shop teacher gave him access to the shop and tools. Between the 2 of them, they both had some violent-looking paddles with holes, notches, and grooves carved and etched into them that made my skin crawl just looking at them. I don't remember what type of mis-deed had to be done to get beat with a paddle, but I did see them get used on more than 1 occasion. I remember once seeing one student wearing nothing but his jock, was ordered to bend over and grab his ankles and place his head under the door knob and get his paddling. As of this current moment, I do not remember if  I ever got a paddling or not, but I do remember wearing my gum on my nose once or twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment