20240318

A Chapter Begins in Fargo

 This might be a post I frequent to add to, as I've several memories in Fargo. How I wound there is a different story but it was rough starting out. Unemployed. Homeless. Only knew a couple people there, neither of which were in a position to help me much. I was an active Christian during this period, going to church Sundays and bible study classes Wednesday nights. Desperate, I asked the pastor if I could sleep in one of the vacant classrooms in the basement of the church while I looked for work. Thank God he agreed and equally thankful I didn't have to stay there long. It may be contradictive that I found it spooky to be in this tiny, dark room in the basement of this small church late at night when all was quiet. I don't remember how long I stayed there. A couple weeks at least.

Times were hard. I spent days in a restaurant drinking coffee and reading help-wanted ads in the newspaper (pre-PC times). Food was small snacks I could afford from the convenience stores. I bathed in the restroom of a gas station and tried to keep one set of clothes clean and neatly folded so I looked presentable at interviews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment