20240317

Overweight

I drove semi trucks long haul and short haul for 24 years before changing careers. I remember unloading in Springfield, Illinois one morning. My next load was dispatched to be picked up in Indiana that afternoon. It was a nice morning and I was in no hurry so instead of taking the bypass around the city, I opted to take the business route through the city and take in the urban sites. Mistake. Maneuvering my empty 48 foot flatbed behind my long nose Pete through the narrow city streets, I turned a corner and found myself looking at a small bridge with a 5 ton embargo on it. My truck and trailer are nearly 70 foot long and virtually no place to stop or turn around. The bridge looked fairly solid - made of concrete and mortared block. I took a deep breath, grabbed another gear and slid over the bridge. On the other side, as if he was waiting for me in the bushes, was a commercial motor vehicle officer or, DOT man. Of course his lights went on as he pulled out behind me, signaling me to stop. Busted!. Even empty, my truck and trailer weighed in at close to 30,000 pounds. After a brief conversation and pleading all the alibis I could muster, I was instructed to follow him all the way back to the other side of town where another motor vehicle inspector was waiting with a portable set of scales.

More later.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment